Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 26 Jul 2002 19:14:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] AIC-7869

> I am being beaten by an incompatibility with an Adaptec 7xxx series driver
> and its support under Redhat. I will try debian on Monday but I was
> wondering if anyone else had recently had to install Linux on an Intel
> motherboard with an on board AIC-7869 SCSI controller.

This is not a distro issue as all distros roughly support the same
hardware if they use linux as a kernel. You should continue to use
whatever distro you are comfortable with. If rh's newest stock kernel has
no suport then debian won't either.

However, there may be a detection issue.

I looked this up under google and there was nothing which is a bad sign.

I looked at the 2.4.18 and the 2.5.25 kernel sources, and there _is_ a
driver for: aic7xxx. I suggest trying this one first.

Look in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi for this driver under
your existing rh install.

I'm a hardcore debian user, but if rh doesn't detect it, debian won't
either.

The good news is that while it's not specifically supported in 2.5, yet,
adaptec seems to have a driver writer on staff who is working on their
scsi support.

If you need more detailed help w/ compiling a kernel or debian help (or
even rh) help, feel to ask.

good day,

Fred