multiple seriousity on Wed, 31 Jul 2002 10:03:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Four 486 PCs I could bring on 8/7/2002 to give away

On Wed, 31 Jul 2002, Michael Leone wrote:
> > I have four 486 PCs I just found while packing up to move. (Moving is  a
> > big pain in the ass,) If I were to LUG them to the next meetting,  does
> > anyone want them? Otherwise I'm gonna trash them as I think
>
> Be aware that it's (technically) illegal to just dump computers out on the

Since when? I know of no law yet covering electronics waste.  There may be
rules and regulations for businesses/corporations, but I am unaware of any
for individuals, or for that matter specific law regarding corportations.
As far as computer monitors and tvs, for that matter, they contain several
pounds of lead generally, so the lead at least is covered as hazardous
waste.  When, however was the last time you saw a TV or monitor NOT in the
trash?

[For those not in the know, I run a charity non-profit environmental
organization. see .sig for url for more info, or feel free to email Q's.]

> boards in the landfills. You're supposed to call and have them picked up
> for proper recycling.

Call whom?

Also, I would recommend possibly looking inside/parting them out --
surely, they probably have some HDs, CD-Rom Drives, Disk Drives, IDE
Cables, or even memory that some people might be interested in... and it
shouldnt be too much trouble just to look...  if not yank.  When I take
systems apart, I even pull out the standard screws, thumbscrews, and
esp. the plastic and brass motherboard mounting connectors.. also
available are fans, heatsinks, etc. sometimes with REALLY old boards that
I *know* are not going to be used/desired I even yank all the jumpers (who
doesn't occasionally lose them when trying to change a jumper?) If you
find 486dx2s... or better, you may wish to make an additional post with
more info as they may be at least a little bit more desireable.

Also, I guess since you're trying to deal with these for moving purposes,
and nedd to get rid of your extra junk I would say it probably isn't worth
it to you to wait till our 'swap meet' next month.. then again, I don't
know when you're moving.

Also, you can post to www.sharetechnology.org which is a local (but
national/indernational website that is basically an exchange database for
technology donations to nonprofits.

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org