gabriel rosenkoetter on Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:02:11 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Four 486 PCs I could bring on 8/7/2002 to give away

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 07:02:44AM -0700, multiple seriousity wrote:
> Since when? I know of no law yet covering electronics waste.

I can't point to it now, but I've read the (Federal) law about this.
*You* are welcome to put it on your curb. Then the city is welcome
to take it. But they are NOT welcome to put it in a public dump,
which means they haven't got any place to put it, which means they
shouldn't take it.

In reality, they will, and it'll end up in the dump, and that's bad
for the environment, which is really the point.

This is all maybe more important for monitors (as you say, lead),
but it *does* matter for most computer components (if nothing else,
the plastic's neither biodegradable nor something you want to burn).

> When, however was the last time you saw a TV or monitor NOT in the
> trash?

The one I'm looking at now isn't. ;^>

I've definitely been party to proper recycling of computer
components. Swarthmore College either resells or recycles (depending
on whether they can find a buyer--places like Computer Renaissance,
who probably go off and sell them on eBay for a humongous profit)
horde of macs at the end of every summer.

> Call whom?

A company what does that. Check your local yellow pages.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net