Paul . L . Snyder on Thu, 1 Aug 2002 20:40:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] LILO help

On 01-Aug-2002, "Fred K Ollinger" <follinge@sas.upenn.edu> wrote:

>  I was reading the LILO info in the SUSE manual and I think that my
>> problem may be that I am trying to write the boot record to the logical
>> (/boot) partition rather than the MBR. I have hda5 through hda11 as
>> logical partitions, hda5 being a small /boot, hda6 is swap, hda7 is
root,
>> etc. In LILO I have the boot setting at hda5. I am going to try dropping
>> the 5 and just make it hda thus writing to the MBR of the drive. Does
this
>> sound like a good way to go?
>
> Yes, that will put the lilo in the mbr.

You might look into GRUB, the GNU Grand Unified Bootloader,  which is the
more or less annointed successor to LILO.  GRUB allows a _lot_ more
flexibility - and no more rememembering to rerun LILO after kernel
upgrades!  In addition to the boot menu, you also get a boot shell,
allowing you to perform boot configuration on the fly.  You can see into
several filesystems (including FAT, ext2 and ReiserFS) from with GRUB, and
can even use tab completion..  Once you've adapted to the rather
straightforward differences [e.g., (hd0,0) instead of /dev/hda1, etc.],
you'll never look back.

There should be SuSE packages for GRUB.  You could also easily make up a
GRUB boot floppy, and play around with it.  If you decide to go with it,
you
would eventually want to install it to your MBR, similar to LILO.  If
you're
using a recent version of SuSE, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't made
the switch, yet.  I know that Red Hat, Mandrake and Gentoo are using GRUB
by
default.

See:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/
http://www.gnu.org/manual/grub/html_node/index.html
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue64/kohli.html

Not sure what you're using, but here's a package for SuSE 8.0:

http://at.rpmfind.net/opsys/linux/RPM/suse.com/i386/8.0/suse/ap4/grub-0.91-108.i386.html
ftp://chuck.ucs.indiana.edu/linux/suse/suse/i386/8.0/suse/ap4/grub-0.91-108.i386.rpm

pls