Noah silva on Fri, 2 Aug 2002 20:30:16 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Acrobat for Linux?

> I have a licensed copy of the full Acrobat for Windows product.  On
> Linux, I can create PDFs with a variety of software, but I can't "edit"
> them as Adobe does not sell a unix version of editor (used to be called

The editing capability seems very limited to me, but looking at how
acrobat works (Capturing printing API...) it isn't surprising.

> "Acrobat Exchange").  There are a number of intemediate steps available
> as Reader upgrades, allowing form data to be saved and some other
> functionality, via *.api plug-ins.  Can I simply copy the Windows *.api
> files to my Linux Reader installation?  Are there any unix specific

I somehow doubt this.

> plug-ins available?  Acrobat was originally supposed to be a
> multi-platform solution, but

It's funny how that works... MS Office is "multi-platform" because it
supports Mac OS and windows apparently.  I would call that
dual-platform.  The big reason why it was "OK" to use Windows NT was
because it was becoming multi-platform, so it was a "real server os" like
unix... of course "multi" seems to have meant only three (ppc, alpha, and
x86), and tho of those are dropped now.  To me "multi-platform" means that
every platform that can be reasonably supported should.

> Adobe seems to have dropped all but Reader
> support from unix, at least that is what is implied by the absence of
> any mention of any unix ports on the website.  (Searches only yield
> some technical data on Distiller 3.02, two major releases ago and no
> longer available.)
> --

Well this is true, but who really uses Acrobat Reader on linux at
least?  Probably the same people who use WinAmp for linux and the real AIM
client for linux, etc... i.e. not many.

 -- noah silva