multiple seriousity on Sun, 4 Aug 2002 10:40:07 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Swap meet, pardon?

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, kaze wrote:
> Could someone repost the details about the swap meet, thanks.

Okay, basically...

 the Swap meet will be one of a number of events happening the week-end of
Thursday 22nd to Sunday the 25th... dubbed PLUS, the Philadelphia
Linux/Unix Symposium.

Specific to the swap meet:

  location: to be decided, I have a few options which I am currently
evaluating and corresponding in reference to.  nothing is definite yet.

  date: Saturday august (this month) 24th most-likely.  noon-or-so till ??

uhhmmm okay well I have a little file I've typed up.. and I'm trying to go
... gee, what should I tell you? so I will just insert that below, but for
now let me just remind you about other events/potential events related to
PLUS:

Thursday evening 22nd august PLUG's meeting at Netaxs regarding linux
kernel module programming. (and keysigning, probably, as usual.)

Friday - nothing yet, but I just got word on a pretty-good-meeting space
which may be available for us... I am going to find out more about
this... but people should start thinking about thwe possbilities for a
linux demo day, demonstrations, discussions, etc.  this will probably be
daytime meetings...

friday night - bar/brewpub night out? (someone out there, you are much
bigger afficianados of this stuff than me, someone pick this up and
volunteer to 'host' this..)

saturday - swap meet as above, and below.

sunday - 2nd annual east-coast pot-luck BBQ/Picnic @ FDR park noon till late

Okay, so here's what I typed up about the swap meet:

[if you have ANY questions, or wish to get involved, by all means feel
free to speak up!]

Basic Ideas/How It Might go:

Well, of course we will need a location for this which we dont yet have.

The goal here is to get rid of stuff that you do not want or need.  This
is not a flea market, nor a store or 'computer show' this is not for sales
of items, this is not a chance for you to bring your retail/wholesale
operation to sell things to people.  You may, however bring things such as
returns, unsaleable merchandise, old/outdated merchandise, surplus stock,
and shwag (keychains, baseball caps, t-shirts, pens/pencils - in other
words useful 'stuff' promotional items) that you do not have any interest
in selling, but just want to get rid of/give away.

It will probably be along the lines of "if you want a table/chair bring it
yourself, although we don't expect it to last that long that you would
need this stuff.

You MUST be willing and ABLE to take with you everything that you brought
with you!  There will be no guaranteed ability for disposal of unwanted
items! Things may NOT be left at the end of the day.  Anybody found
abandoning items will be excommunicated and then executed! :)

Three types of items to bring and swap or give away:
Shwag (t-shirts, buttons, baseball caps, other promotional materials.) I
know I have a handfull of stuff that I have gotten that I do not want (and
there exists some stuff that I DO want... so I know, at least, I will have
some of this stuff.)

Media & Assorted supplies: Books, Manuals, Documentation, Software, Disks,
Removable media, printer paper, labels, etc.

Hardware: need I say more?

Individuals (PLUGgers, and other attendees) get first pick.

After they are done (or at the same time) various non-profit computer
reuse organizations will be able to take what the individuals don't want.

After this, remains may be abl;e to be sent to various computer recycling
wings of nonprofits tyhat actually get some funds when they disassemble
and recycle computer parts.

We may be able to arrange to have a disposal, too, that is... some of the
nonprofits may take what they dont want (i.e. old monitors, printers) for
a fee to send to recyclers (monitores are generally considered hazardous
waste)

We may be able to arrange with the city to collect some electronic parts
via a hazardous waste pickup.

BTW, I've begun making a list of stuff I personally want/need/can use @
http://www.slackware.com/~msimons/needs/

(nope, no list of what I HAVE, I will be packing up a bunch of stuff, and
bringing it.. too much stuff..)

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org