John Lavin on Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:24:20 -0400

Re: [PLUG] eth0

BillyWissman@netscape.net said:
> The system sees the NIC and driver, but when I run /sbin/dhclient to
> configure dhcp I get "eth0: PCI error 0x800000". The error message
> keeps repeating itself line after line and won't stop until I
> physically pull the ether cable from the NIC.

Please wrap your lines at 72-80 characters for those of us on text mail
clients.

I've not seen your specific error, but I have had all kinds of trouble
using that NIC in a Pentium 166 of mine.  My net card would work fine in
an Athlon, but not in the older Pentium.  I was able to get the module
inserted, and it would appear, but all transmit packets were errors.  I
had to replace with older net cards to make use of the box.  Perhaps you
can scrounge up an ISA card or two no one else wants.  They work just
fine for those pentiums...

Good Luck,
-john
--