eric@lucii.org on Sun, 4 Aug 2002 23:22:16 -0400

[PLUG] party server

I'm searching for a donation computer for the Libertarian Party of Pennsylvania.

I convinced the State Board and the Secretary to re-do the state membership
database in mySQL rather than Microsoft Access.  That way, I argued, many
frontend tools can connect to it (even Access) and we don't lock in the current
and future party administrations into a proprietary solution.  The Board and
the Secretary agreed.  It does not hurt that many of the party members are
Linux fans like myself :-D

The drawback is that his current computers are all windows.  I'd like to have
him running in on Linux if at all possible.  He tells me that his computers
"blue screen" occasionally.  Great!  Just what we need our state membership
database held hostage to!  We already lost a TON of information from the last
secretary's Macintosh hard drive crash :-(

Does anyone here know of an available system that would fit the bill?  We need
to run some flavor of Linux and I'll be happy to install it (as well as the
mySQL).  It does not have to be a powerhouse machine - only one user.  I'm not
limited to architecture either - an old SPARC would do as well as a x86 box
(although I've never installed Linux on SPARC so I'd be a newbie again!!)

This computer will reside on the Secretary's home network (right here in
Delaware County) and be the property of the Libertarian Pary of Pennsylvania.

We'd be extremely grateful for any donated system that helps us meet this
immediate need.   Unfortunately (if it is a concern) it would not be a tax
deductable donation.

Let me know if you have further questions or suggestions!  Thanks.

Eric

State Board Representative,
Delaware County Libertarian Committee

Campaign Manager,