Noah silva on Mon, 5 Aug 2002 12:05:00 -0400

Re: [PLUG] party server

Yes,

It's free (source and price) - they even sent me free CD-ROMs of it.  It
has VERY good PDF documentation, it supports "standard" SQL, as well as
Oracle SQL.  It does transactions, hot-backups, versioning, etc.  It has a
web interface for administering it, and also a nice GUI client for windows
(2 actually).  The server easily runs on linux/x86 windows/x86 and/or
solaris/x86, as well as most of the commercial unixes.  Unfortunatly I
havn't gotten it to work on linux/sparc yet, but then I havn't tried that
hard.  It has odbc and jdbc support.  It really can do pretty much
everything oracle can do, and for free.  Or - you can pay for support (not
cheap though!)

The reasons I can see _not_ to use it are:
* Not everything integrates well with it.  There is more support for MySQL
than anything else in linux.

But then again, this is like voting for the guy you think will win, you
should vote for the guy you WANT to win instead.  It is for sure more work
to install and configure at this point than f.e. mysql.

I havn't done any formal benchmarks, but SAPDB is fairly speedy.  It's
slower than MySQL but uhm.. well that's because MySQL doesn't -do-
much.  It's certainly faster than PostGreSQL at most things.

 -- noah silva