Mental on Mon, 5 Aug 2002 16:50:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] hdparm problem

On Mon, 2002-08-05 at 10:10, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> Following a recent thread, and reading the cited URLs, I added the
> following lines to /etc/rc.d/rc.local
>
> hdparm -c1 /dev/hde
> hdparm -d1 -X66 /dev/hde
> hdparm -m 16 /dev/hde

Try removing the -X66. You shouldnt need it. Its also documented as
risky. Speaking from experience. I inadvertently trashed a drive. THe
drive should default to the fastest ide transfer mode that the drive
supports. At any rate, if you insist on using -X set the pio mode with
-p first.

Doing this is not worth the risk to data. See the hdparm man page for
details.

I use the following settings:
-u1 -c3 -d1 -m16

Do not simply copy them. The -u can break things too. Test on a readonly
filesystem or backup all data first.
--

Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

This body. This body holding me. Be my reminder here that I am not alone
in
      This body, this body holding me, feeling eternal
            All this pain is an illusion.

--Tool "Parabola"

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc