Bill Jonas on Mon, 5 Aug 2002 17:50:34 +0200

Re: [PLUG] hdparm problem

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:14:59AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> No, but I will try.  Reason why you think that is the problem?

Well, I've a system (old and crappy; not just low-spec, but flaky
hardware too) that's two or three years old that won't even see the hard
drive on the first boot from a poweroff.  I have to let it go through a
long POST and then reboot the machine in order to get it to see the hard
drive.  As of yet, I haven't bothered trying to find out why.

It's the way that system behaves, combined with a suspicion that
possibly, just maybe, the hard drive hasn't fully completed its own
initialization process yet (or that the kernel hasn't fully poked and
prodded it yet) that causes me to suggest that.  Question(s): is this
drive the boot drive?  If not, is it mounted on boot?  If either of the
above, does it appear to be working fine when hdparm fails?

"They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin