Jason on Tue, 6 Aug 2002 19:20:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Thin vs. Slim Clients?

On Tuesday 06 August 2002 09H:43, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Question:
>
> I'm looking at the Linux Terminal Server project and have setup a test
> environment. It looks pretty cool, but it seems that the Thin Client is
> hardly doing any work. from what i can tell, it boots only enough to get X
> running and then turns over control to X on the server. What if the end
> user wants to listen to music, use the cd rom, or floppy disk? i'm thinking

Not sure about LTSP, but some thin client solutions *do* let you access some
local hardware (printer port, etc.). This is probably an area where feedback
to LTSP and contributions would be helpful. I believe that the most common
way of handling this is sharing the local hardware resources so that software
on the server can access them.

> that the better solution would be to make a slim client (a term i just
> invented, AFAIK) - like the Sun computer labs I used in college. each
> workstation had a boot OS, but mounted /home, /usr, etc over the network.

I think some of the ones in the lab I was in might have even booted the OS
over the network (BootP/TFTP) with no local disk whatsoever.

> How would this compare with the performance of the thin client? say the
> machine was a P133 with 64M of ram. Is it too much overhead to have KDE3
> running locally? Is there any way to get a better hybrid of LTSP and local
> fucntionality (sound, cd, floppy, etc).

Maybe you want VNC. I would lump VNC in with thin client solutions. With VNC
as well as Citrix and M$ Terminal Server, you often *do* run a local
OS/Display Server. It may not be the latest and greatest (picture DOS and
Windows 3.1 or a really barebones X setup). Then you run VNC or something
like it for the display. There is some resource sharing between the local OS
and the thin client software (printing, clipboard, etc.). Some of these
features vary and I'm not aware if any of these offer streaming audio to a
local soundcard. Most try to limit network activity to simply mouse and
keystrokes, but often an API is available for implementing these types of
applications.

> what are your experiences?

I've actually run a M$ Terminal Server client on a Telxon (ruggedized
industrial equipment) handheld over a wireless connection. It was running
Windoze for Workgroups 3.11 locally w/ something like 16 MB of RAM and 16 or
32 MB of local flash disk storage. We had to pull out just about every darn
stinking DLL that wasn't absolutely essential to get everything crammed in
there. It was quite painful, but the result was pretty cool.

I think you are on the right track w/ running something locally. You could
pair it w/ VNC. I don't think you want or need KDE3, though, in your thin
client's local display. Perhaps a much thinner Window Manager (there are
plenty), or none at all?.

> thanks

Cheers,
Jason Nocks

- --
Nocks Software Systems, Inc.
Software Design and Development, Consulting, and Mentoring
C/C++, Java, RDBMS, Linux, Windows, TCP/IP, UML, & eXtreme Programming