Kevin Brosius on Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:06:19 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Thin vs. Slim Clients?

"W. Chris Shank" wrote:

> Question:
>
> I'm looking at the Linux Terminal Server project and have setup a test
> environment. It looks pretty cool, but it seems that the Thin Client is
> hardly doing any work. from what i can tell, it boots only enough to get X
> running and then turns over control to X on the server. What if the end user

X running...X on the server... This is rather confusing and doesn't
express how X windows runs very well.

You generally need a local X server to display application windows.
That is the only 'server' you need to run.  X applications can then be
run either local or remote.  They connect to the X windows server to
display their output windows.  The window manager is really just another
X application with the additional role of supervising application window
layout.  (And maybe some other things.  So the window manager can run on
either the local machine or a remote machine just like other
applications.)

> wants to listen to music, use the cd rom, or floppy disk? i'm thinking that

Generally, X applications have access to hardware on the machine they
are run from.  Unless you have another service (someone mention NAS?)
forwarding the device, like a sound device, the applications can only
access hardware on the machine they run on, not on the machine with
their application window (and the X server).

--
Kevin Brosius