W. Chris Shank on Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:31:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Thin vs. Slim Clients?

> "W. Chris Shank" wrote:
>>
>> Question:
>>
>> I'm looking at the Linux Terminal Server project and have setup a test
>> environment. It looks pretty cool, but it seems that the Thin Client
>> is hardly doing any work. from what i can tell, it boots only enough
>> to get X running and then turns over control to X on the server. What
>> if the end user
>

> X running...X on the server... This is rather confusing and doesn't
> express how X windows runs very well.

i didn't state that well. what is happengin is that the diskless client
boots off the network, and starts X. It then connects to the X client
running on teh central server, so a GDM login is displayed. When you login,
it is EXACTLY like sitting at the server and loggin in directly. if i hit
reboot, the server reboots. if i hit eject cdrom, the server's cdrom ejects,
etc.

what i'd like to setup is a minimal local OS (or boot of the net is ok, but
use a local swap partition, and local /dev and /mnt. /home and /usr would be
mounted over the network.

i think this is probably similar to the sunFire 1 (i think that was the name
of it) which was Sun's thin client product. the kool thinkg abnout the
sunfire 1 was that you could kill a thin client then go to another thin
client and login and get EXACTLY where you were before, all windows open and
everything. i don't remember if it had CDROMS, but it did have sound. i
thought it was a very kool product, but expensive.