Jarvis, John on Fri, 9 Aug 2002 09:50:31 -0400

RE: [PLUG] full-duplex nic's

IF this is a cisco switch I would check to see what the port is set to.  ONe
thing you can do is to force into full.
To see what it is currently set to telnet on the switch and type

#show interface fast 0/<port number>

to change it to full type

#con term
#interface fast 0/<port num>
#duplex full

-j

-----Original Message-----
From: Kam Salisbury [mailto:kam@salsolutions.net]
Sent: Friday, August 09, 2002 7:04 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Cc: leroy@leroybrown.com
Subject: Re: [PLUG] full-duplex nic's

Yep. The NIC should negotiate with the switch at the other end of its link
as to whether the two entities can support a full duplex connection. Things
that can stop a full duplex NIC from running at full speed are going to be
either unsupported port speed/mode settings at the hub/switch (ie. 100MbFDX
NIC connected to a 10MbHDX hub over correctly wired Cat5 or better ethernet
cable will have no chance of negotiating a full duplex 10Mbit connection) or
cable conditions (ie. incorrectly wired Cat5 cable, cable length exceeds 100
meters, poorly terminated cable, lame patch cord or mis-wired patch cord,
Cat3 cable wired correctly but trying to run 100Mbit, cable that has run
over florescent lights or in an electrical conduit).

Kam.