gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 9 Aug 2002 14:30:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] tomcat4 on linux

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 07:29:05AM -0400, Keith Bentrup wrote:
> Thanks, everyone.  I was unaware that threads showed up using ps. Quite
> honestly I was fairly unaware about the distinction between processes and
> threads.

Keith, Google says you may be interested in reading this Byte
(remember when they were cool rather than lame?) article:

  http://www.byte.com/documents/s=217/byt19991122s0002/index.htm

You might also want to look into the threading that SunOS does
(they've been doing it for a long time, they mostly know what
they're doing). They call threads light-weight processes. I could
tell you a bit about NetBSD's upcoming kernel threading (based on
Sun's LWPs in many ways), but I don't think it's really documented
right now. (Hopefully Nathan'll do that after they're merged into
the tree...)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net