Keith Bentrup on Fri, 9 Aug 2002 13:50:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] tomcat4 on linux

Thanks, everyone. I was unaware that threads showed up using ps. Quite honestly I was fairly unaware about the distinction between processes and threads. Apparently tomcat4 starts one server that starts a process that seems to have 15-20 threads on startup, and these threads seem to persist until tomcat shuts down.

Happy Friday!
-Keith :-)

At 09:29 AM 8/8/02, you wrote:
> > Threads show up as processes in linux.
> >
> > Why on earth would you run java on a low memory machine? Its going to
> > suck. If its educational for you to learn in or something, set
> > maxprocesses to 1 or something and maybe you'll be ok.
> >
> Agreed.
>
> Depending on which JVM you are using, the -Xmx switch could be
> available which limits the size of the memory pool used.

I've also had some better success with IBM's VM.  I think they're still
at version 1.3, but 1.4 looks like it's in beta on AIX.  I've found
that it's faster than the Sun VM, though I don't know about the
memory usage.

  http://www.ibm.com/java/

Even though you set the max processes to a low number, there are still
alot of extraneous support threads that are probably running in the
background.  Stuff like the garbage collection thread, and several
support threads for Tomcat itself -- it would be intresting to set
the max processes to 1 and see how many threads got started anyway.

Kyle

------------------------------------- Keith H. Bentrup Lucid Tech Solutions, LLC P.O. Box 135 Wallingford, PA 19086 Tel/Fax (610) 960-5360 http://www.lucidtechsolutions.com help@lucidtechsolutions.com