Kam Salisbury on Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:56:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] scsi raid array...adding a drive to an existing array?

No I do not think so. If the Perc3 is set to have the RAID5 via controller
management (most likely) then the only way to define an additional array is
to back everything up, redefine a new array with 3 or more drives for RAID5
and then restore your data. This is because the controller itself is
striping the data and parity data across the RAID5 members. If my memory
serves correctly, you can add additional disks to the controller as 'hot
spares' without having to re-initialize the array.

Another way to look at this is by logical RAID volume. If you have three
disks now defined in a RAID5 and the controller has a second channel being
unused as well as drive mount space, why not mount 3 additional disks and
feine an additional RAID5? Not only will your performance be better
(especially for the second RAID volume) since the second logical storage
device is on a seperate SCSI channel.

No matter which way you go, the choice of defining the array via the SCSI
array controller's BIOS is the preferred method over the software RAID
Redhat can provide.

One last thought... why not use this as a great oppourtunity to upgrade to
Redhat 7.3 and enjoy ext3 filesystems as well? Oh bummer, I have to totally
reinstall versus an upgrade because I have to blow away my existing array to
have a much bigger one with additional disks.

Kam Salisbury
MCSE, CNA, Linux+, Believer in Open Source.
"Computers are here for the people!" http://networkalchemist.com