Bob Schwier on Mon, 26 Aug 2002 20:00:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] troubled newbie with debian

Reason for using 2.0 is that the equipment I'm trying to install on is
even more obsolete.  This is a (not another!) learning experience.  I
cannot even put all of the packages in this edition that I would want as
the hard drive is only half a gig.  The DOS side is also an experiment
with freedos.  I have to use archaic equipment for two reasons.  My wife
needs the good machine for business purposes and to use certain
proprietary software (Brother embroidery sewing machine).  The other
reason is that I need to make this stuff work on the type of antiques that
get donated to the School District of Philadelphia because they got reamed
by Microsoft since the donaters did not give them the funky little license
card for the inevitable Windows.  Think of old Bill Gates talking about
the need for education and how we should support it while his lawyers are
socking it to an already bankrupt school system that definitely needs
whatever resources it can scare up just to fix roofs.
The standard drive on these donated pieces of crap seems to be 200M.
I hand corrected the MBR using Norton Utilities 8 Disk Tool to rewrite the
MBR and Disk Doctor to correct the partition table.  The procedure was
given in the Norton manual.
The freedos experiment is working better for me simply because I am more
familiar with it than with Unix and therefore Linux.  I know that is a
function of time but I have to get the damned thing running first to get
used to using it.
bs