Sean Finney on Tue, 27 Aug 2002 02:40:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] troubled newbie with debian

On Mon, Aug 26, 2002 at 02:18:26PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > The freedos experiment is working better for me simply because I am more
> > familiar with it than with Unix and therefore Linux.  I know that is a
> > function of time but I have to get the damned thing running first to get
> > used to using it.
>
> Have you thought of net or openbsd? They are quite small.

i'm surprised we haven't already heard from the list's official netBSD
advocate ;), but as a user of it myself it might fit the bill, if the
latest linux kernel + distro is too bloated (though I think a minimal
debian install should work if you get your hands on a 3.0 install disk
and don't let tasksel or dselect run amock on you).

back in my freshman year in college i had this POS P75 laptop with some
ridiculously small amount of ram, and I was able to get a non-x base
install of debian running without too much hassle (though i had to do
it from floppy because i didn't have a network card).

as for netbsd, currently i'm running it on a pentium 95 with 24 mb ram,
and it's working quite happily as a firewall, router, dhcp server, dns
server, ssh server, and even at some points a web server.  granted I
don't run X on it, or compile software all that often, but it does
wonders for my needs.  I've been on the current-users email list for
a while, and it seems there are quite a good number of people who
are still running pre-pentium x86 boxes too.

anyway, just thought I'd throw in my $0.02, good luck :)

--sean