Fred K Ollinger on Tue, 27 Aug 2002 11:25:54 -0400

[PLUG] linux on the optiplex

We have a number of optiplex 260 glx computers from Dell, and I'd like to
install Red Hat 7.2 on them. Has anyone done this? Has anyone gotten
kernel support for their built-in ethernet card on them? Everything else
works great, but I'd like to do this via kickstart so I need to get
ethernet support up automatically. I will create new installation media w/
a newer kernel if I need to, but I can't seem to find any info on support.

I read that the 1000e.o module would work, but it doesn't, at least not w/
knoppix 3.0 which I booted just to see if there was support in a more
modern kernel (rh 7.2 kernel == linux 2.4.7). Knoppix 3.0 won't load
ethernet driver even w/ linux-2.4.19. :( At this point, I'll even run 2.5
on them, if I need to as they can be reimaged if something goes south, all
data is shared out by nfs.

Thanks for your time.

Fred Ollinger (follinge@sas.upenn.edu)
CCN sysadmin