kaze on Tue, 3 Sep 2002 05:30:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] 'ruggedized' keyboard

On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 19:43:38 -0700 (PDT), multiple seriousity <msimons@slackware.com> wrote :

> On Mon, 2 Sep 2002 kaze@voicenet.com wrote:
>
> > Hi. I'm building a computer for my daughter, she's only 18 (months).
> > I'd really like to find a ruggedized laptop, but... any suggestions on
> > a keyboard?
>
> > I found this "Classic IBM PS/2 Clicky Keyboards, Model M" for $4 on
> > eBay <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2049534738>.
> > I guess it will disturb the downstairs neighbors when it hits the
> > floor - and prob wont deal to well with spills, but; anything better
> > out there?
>
> You're missing something...  what about when it HITS your kid?? You want
> to Strap down anything you come up with, so it can't move an inch.
>
> I'd say even with a ruggedized laptop... the lcd (and system in
> general) isn't meant to be hit with PapaChooChooBear again and again.

Some very good points. So far she's not violent / aggressive insofar as hitting things, but she already broke one of my keyboards just from repeatedly banging on it excitedly. Cables are a drag to- tripping, tangling, choking... That's why I was thinking super-rugged-laptop; but a cheap eMac would be ideal. (Actually, now that I think about it she did hit the TV with a hammer after she saw me putting up some nails...)

> I'd really look up kid-safety issues.. and remember to strap everything
> down to a surface (floor or desk) that is itself either strapped down, or
> heavy enough so it won't move.  And I don't just mean velcro, but I'm
> talking screw things down.
>
> I'd also worry about cables.
>
> if you're actually looking for something spill friendly I'd think you
> might look at some of the rubber keyboards, but you will pay more for
> them.  I think it probably best just to never allow her to have beverages
> near the computer that way she learns that it's not okay to pour juice all
> over daddy's playtoy.
>
> I'd wonder about software and things that will actually garner her
> attention and interest...  starting her off with an old Apple II or Mac
> that has engaging software that would actually garner her attention and
> interest might make sense.. although going linux/unix from the early age
> would probably have her coding and kicking our butts in !33+ skillz by the
> time she's 5. :D

The next gen of hackers _will_ be scary. My baby is very at ease with the computer and DVD and all things electronic and digital - she has found many keyboard tricks I never even imagened or have been able to replicate.

> It would certainly be an interesting project.  I wonder if there is a
> baby.sourceforge.net or something project out there somewhere..

baby.sourceforge.net is a great idea! I mean she doesn't read or write yet - but wants to do what Mommy and Daddy are doing - and loves the letters and interactivity. What applications exist for this group? Will <http://pbskids.org/teletubbies/hints/outside.html> even work on non-WinTel IE?