multiple seriousity on Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:11:17 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast or Verizon DSL for Linux laptop? (cheaper)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, William H. Magill wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 27, 2002, at 05:07  PM, multiple seriousity wrote:
> > On Fri, 12 Jul 2002, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> >> Verizon has three packages for Residential DSL now, if I'm remembering
> >> correctly.  What I got was the cheapest one.  They're beta testing
> > what is the "cheapest one" that you got?  I think they have a 1.5 and a
> > 768 package.. I don't know about any 'third package' (except for the
> > different pricing deal I found..) how much are you paying and what are
> > you getting for it?

> Hmmm... Bell Atlantic Verizon  had 3 DSL packages.
> 	768x90 and 1.5x90 - known as DSL and DSL professional
> 	and 1.5x768 called Pro or some such name.
>
>  From what I can tell, Verizon has not really changed the offerings,
> except that the 90 is now 128.

Yes, and 768 used to be 640 but changed to 768 (although I haven't seen
anywhere near either number yet... can anybody recommend a good website to
test speed one sees? I've already tried dslreports.)

> (They upgraded their equipment. No change required on my end to get the
> 128 speed. Ive had the DSL Professional service since the begining --
> although via DCAnet.) However, they have made it impossible to find out
> what services they really offer from their website.
>
> And as for the $29.95 deal -- that's only for 3 months, then it jumps
> up to $39.95. ( It's on the Verizon home page.)

Sort of.  You made a typo. ;)  jumps up to $49.95, you mean.

BUT the $39.95 deal I got *IS* perpetual.  (In other words, it doesn't
change in 3 months.) And it's still good this month (although a few
rebates that you could get were up at the end of august.)

I figured at least partially how they cut it down to $39.95 -- it doesn't
include dial-up access.  You *can* get a version with 20 hours of dialup
access... which is only $48.90.. yep... still cheaper than the $49.95 that
verizon normally offers.

Also, the $34.95 deal also exists if you have Local Package or better,
which is also seemingly perpetual.

Considering I just cut my unlimited local calling off, because now I won't
be making as many calls without the dialup modem, I'm saving even more. :)

--
msimons@slackware.com INFORMATION*MEDIA*PHOTOGRAPHY msimonsmail@yahoo.com
Creative Arts Resource Project : PTMaterials Exchange : www.pleasetake.org