Kevin Brosius on Wed, 4 Sep 2002 07:59:16 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Comcast or Verizon DSL for Linux laptop? (cheaper)

multiple seriousity wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, William H. Magill wrote:
> > > what is the "cheapest one" that you got?  I think they have a 1.5 and a
> > > 768 package.. I don't know about any 'third package' (except for the
> > > different pricing deal I found..) how much are you paying and what are
> > > you getting for it?
>
> > Hmmm... Bell Atlantic Verizon  had 3 DSL packages.
> >       768x90 and 1.5x90 - known as DSL and DSL professional
> >       and 1.5x768 called Pro or some such name.
> >
> >  From what I can tell, Verizon has not really changed the offerings,
> > except that the 90 is now 128.
>
> Yes, and 768 used to be 640 but changed to 768 (although I haven't seen
> anywhere near either number yet... can anybody recommend a good website to
> test speed one sees? I've already tried dslreports.)

What's wrong with dslreports?  I guess you'll need to have a java
enabled web browser for it to run the test, but I've used it a bunch of
times with Netscape 4.  The numbers seem realistic from what I've seen.
Although I haven't tried it in a month or 2.  Is it having trouble?

--
Kevin Brosius