John Lavin on Wed, 4 Sep 2002 19:48:21 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Recommendation for old laptop

Arthur S. Alexion said:
> I have a really old laptop that I want to experiment with.  It is an

I have a Toshiba Pentium 133 with 16 meg RAM.  I run Debian
Woody and Blackbox for X.  Any lightweight X wm should work for you.  I
stick to mostly text based apps for doing things (mutt, BitchX, w3m) but
I do have a couple gui necessities for word processing/pdfs/etc (xpdf,
abiword, gnumeric work well).  Viewing images, I use feh.  It'll view
any image that I've pulled down so far, but I'm sure there are other
lightweight viewers out there.

dselect swaps like crazy if you are going to use Debian, try using
apt-get/apt-cache as much as possible.  Kernel recompiles take a while
too.  I usually kick them off and do something else or compile it on
another debian box, package it up and install it on the laptop.  Its
worth the time to recompile, though, to remove all the extra junk you
aren't using.  Speeds things up on a less powerfull box...

Never got my soundcard to work: pesky OPL-SA3 drivers weren't cooperating
and I moved on to more important (read: more interesting) things.

Stay away from kde/gnome, gimp, mozilla - you'll be swapping till the
cows come home.

Enjoy,
-john
--