Keith Bentrup on Wed, 4 Sep 2002 21:40:08 +0200

[PLUG] jsp deployment ... tomcat -> oracle jserv

Hi everyone,

First, I want to say a big "Thank you!" to everyone. I've enjoyed reading this mailing list a lot and received some great help. It's really appreciated.
Now onto my question of the month ... that's hopefully not too esoteric or difficult: I wrote this application on tomcat4. Works beautifully. Transferred to an oracle server using apache's jserv. No go. :-(
More details: It was originally written and hosted on the unix box running oracle and jserv. I wanted to develop it on Tomcat on my RedHat box. So I scp'd the jsp files and classes to my box, worked on it, and made all the changes I wanted. When I went to transfer it back, I scrapped the old classes, dropped in my new jsp and classes files in their respective dir's and viola ... class not defined errors. So I read around (and if someone could confirm this, that would be great)

1) unlike on tomcat you have to make a Makefile for oracle's jserv
2) you have to publish the files using their publishing scripts
3) then the classes have to be loaded into the database?
3) you have to restart jserv? yes/no?

I guess I'm just confused about the differences in deployment and why the process is so different. Why do I have to go through all this when on tomcat I write 3 lines in server.xml and just drag & drop a few files?

Thanks!
-k

ps I have written a Makefile (not my forte) based on the documentation ... classes seem to be loading but still getting the class not defined error although I haven't restarted the server yet. I don't want to do that unless absolutely necessary.

------------------------------------- Keith H. Bentrup Lucid Tech Solutions, LLC P.O. Box 135 Wallingford, PA 19086 Tel/Fax (610) 960-5360 http://www.lucidtechsolutions.com help@lucidtechsolutions.com