John Lavin on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 03:40:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Dead, unrecoverable Hard drive?

Time said:
> I'd never let hardware win without a fight, but then that's just me.
> If your time:money ratio doesn't allow it then you just make a
> conscious business decision and get on with it.
Yeah, I know that feeling.  I don't have anything unrecoverable, but am
guilty of not backing up.  Its that time and effort part that is the
killer.

> But... if I were you, and I had an extra drive laying around I'd slave
> the bad to the good and do the retrieval just so I could go to bed
> happy. 8)
Fortunately, I've been too busy lately to re-purpose the hard drive I
replaced.  If I can't get the data, I guess I have to lose those weeks
in between...

You know, the funny thing is that this is the first drive that I felt
comfortable not backing up.  I've always bought discounted hard drives
that didn't pass all their tests and backed up critical data.  Now I get
one with a warranty and it dies in a couple of weeks.  Grrr...

-john
--
John Lavin
jlavin@ccil.org