Doug Crompton on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 06:00:08 +0200

[PLUG] fdisk partition problem

I have two WD 20GB drives installed. They are identical. Drive 1 - hda is
partitioned and working. It reports 16 heads, 63 sectors, 38792 cylinders.

The second drive which I want to make identical in partitions to the
reports (in fdisk)  255 heads, 63 sectors and 2434 cylinders.

It only reports this in fdisk. The bios and SuSe's hardware probe show
them to both be the same - 16, 63, 38792

Ok so I changed the number of heads and cylinders in fdisk. I setup all
the partitions. It looks right - same as hda - I write it. I come back
into Fdisk and it has the heads and cylinders screwed up again and thus
the partitions are not right.

Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this?

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *