gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:10:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] secure file deletion with journaling filesystems

On Thu, Sep 12, 2002 at 02:44:18PM -0400, Mental Patient wrote:
> gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> >What about in memory? On screen?
> How does shred or srm help with that either?

Oh, they don't. I just wanted to name drop Van Eck. (But if you're
paranoid enough to think true file erasure is insufficient compared
to encrypted FSes, why aren't you paranoid enough to worry about
spoked with radio receivers?)

> It'd be interesting, but you could always sit outside my room with a
> decent pair of binoculars.

How low tech. I could probably more easily come in that window and
slap a keygrabber in front of your keyboard in your PS/2 port. (How
often do you check for those? What, you don't? Even at work? Tsk...)

> Again, if the file is encrypted, it doesnt matter. You shouldnt even
> need to delete it really.
> Thats all I was saying.

I've got no argument with that, I was just expanding the technical
issues of erasure (and, incidentally, undeletion; same concerns) in
journaling and log-structured file systems, since I *do* know about
them. I agree on the futility of "secure" deletion, but whatever...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net