Will Dyson on Thu, 12 Sep 2002 22:26:13 -0400

Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian

Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
I want to revert back to a previous version of the ogg tools in
debian, because the current version in testing doesn't work.

<snip>

Any advice or pointers?

Advice: upgrade to vorbis-tools 1.0 from unstable, rather than downgrading.

You can do this easily by adding the unstable archives to your sources.list file and (important) setting a low (100<X<500) Pin-priority on packages from unstable. You can do this by adding the following lines to your /etc/apt/preferences file (copied from my woody machine)

Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 101

This is not a well-advertised feature of apt, but it works well. It is documented in the man page for apt_preferences. The packages from testing will still be the default. You will have to specficly ask for the version from unstable.

If you really must downgrade, then check this out: http://debianplanet.org/node.php?id=717

In case debianplanet barfs or something, the relevent link is http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman