gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 16 Sep 2002 17:00:08 +0200

Re: CD ripping (was: Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian)

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 10:26:50AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> And, unfortunately, I think Sony knows more than anyone about consumer
> electronics which is why the sony clie is so nice to begin with
> compared to the competition.

I don't know. I wouldn't let their reputation get the best of you.
Plenty of other companies know what they're doing (Phillips Magnavox
comes to mind).

> I'm hoping to avoid something as valuable as a laptop in the car.

Eh? How would you ever travel with a laptop if you're afraid to take
it in the car?

I don't *leave* my laptop in the car (well, actually, I do at work,
but I wouldn't need to, I'm just lazy; I certainly don't overnight),
and it cost me far less than some of the dedicated mp3-player things
out there.  What's more, if I bring my 802.11B card along, I can
have music *and* networking... ;^>

> Also, my goal with an mp3 player vs. cd player is no moving parts to
> jostle while moving -- walking, bicycling or driving.  My family seems
> to go through protable cd players almost as fast as they go through
> batteries.

I agree that a laptop is totally inadequate for any of those
non-vehicular things.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net