gabriel rosenkoetter on Sat, 14 Sep 2002 05:30:07 +0200

CD ripping (was: Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian)

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 11:51:29AM -0400, Will Dyson wrote:
> Btw, Gabe, what cd-ripper/encoder are you using? I've looked at Jack and
> abcde...

abcde. The latest version is disturbingly smart about recognizing
cddb (well, freedb, of course) output.

I've only got two SCSI CD-ROMs in my system at the moment (I've been
meaning to stick the couple spare in for this re-ripping, but
haven't gotten around to it yet), but I use the attached script[1] with
the two that are there. All I have to do is feed the machine a new
CD every time it ejects. Sure, my processor's pegged all the time...
doesn't affect performance in the least (... because abcde comes
with reasonable nice settings and can be made to nice even lower).

abcde's -N flag is mostly safe, but I haven't convinced myself I
trust it for Various Artist CDs just yet (especially when the
listings are what abcde thinks of as backwards), and I've been bit
by more than a couple of CDs where some twit wanted to impose his
own formatting (no-caps, all-caps, improper capitalization of
particles in titles, whatever) on the rest of the world and nobody's
corrected the database. That's easy enough to fix later, though,
for the most part.

[1] You'll want to make minor (device-naming, maybe PATH) changes
if you plan to use it yourself.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net