gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 15 Sep 2002 01:40:06 +0200

Re: CD ripping (was: Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian)

On Fri, Sep 13, 2002 at 12:52:45PM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> I've only got two SCSI CD-ROMs in my system at the moment (I've been
> meaning to stick the couple spare in for this re-ripping, but
> haven't gotten around to it yet), but I use the attached script[1]
[...]
> [1] You'll want to make minor (device-naming, maybe PATH) changes
> if you plan to use it yourself.

Ahem. Helps to attach it, doesn't it?

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 01:55:50AM -0400, Will Dyson wrote:
> I'll give abcde another try sometimes, perhaps. I remember being unhappy
> with it when I tried it before, but I don't remember why....

Well, it used to be a bit more ornery to deal with. When I first
installed it, nobody'd packaged it for NetBSD (and I'm a jerk, so I
didn't either ;^>), so there were a bunch of peripheral programs
(cd-discid, something to do cddb queries) that I had to also make
behave properly.

Packaged, with proper dependencies on the stuff it needs, it's easy
to install (true on both Debian and NetBSD, the only two places I've
used it), and *very* easy to use (provided you don't want GUI
goo-gook, of course; but I can't help you much if you do :^>).

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net