Will Dyson on Sat, 14 Sep 2002 01:48:05 -0400

Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

I thought it was just the most recent version of vorbistools that
was broken? Won't install vorbistools=<working version> work, then?

It is definatly not the most recent version (from unstable) that is broken. I just encoded a few cds this afternoon.

I think Jeff tracks the testing branch, which runs a few weeks behind unstable (although some packages can be delayed for longer for various reasons).

So, yes, if you were unhappy with the latest version of some package, downgrading using package=<older, working version> wouldn't cause problems. It is adding a few packages from unstable (while staying with a more conservative brach of debian for all other packages) that makes things interesting.

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman