gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 13 Sep 2002 08:11:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian

[Sorry to break reference headers, but I've deleted all the existing
messages in this thread. Hopefully whatever threading MUA you're
using will pick up the Subject: line.]

I have it on good authority (a certain German Debian developer whom
some of you may remember) that, even without changing your apt
preferences, either using aptitude or doing a:

  apt-get install vorbistools=<desired version>

will dtrt. I presume those of you who are looking at what's
available will be able to figure out <desired version> should be.

He also suggests that setting the Pin-priority to 101 for Package: *
with Pin: release a=unstable is a bad idea if you want to keep a
testing/stable system. Putting the exact package name instead of the
* would probably be what you want.

I wouldn't know, as I don't use Debian (or Linux, when I can avoid
it). I use NetBSD, where we take reasonable care to be sure that
pkgsrc is broken neither in the standard release (equivalent to
Debian's stable) nor in the current code base (CVS's HEAD, what I
take to be the equivalent of Debian's unstable).

(And I'm happily using vorbis-tools, libvorbis, and libogg all
1.0.0.8 to re-rip my CD collection as oggs as I type...)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net