Will Dyson on Fri, 13 Sep 2002 11:52:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] un-upgrade in debian

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

  apt-get install vorbistools=<desired version>

will dtrt. I presume those of you who are looking at what's
available will be able to figure out <desired version> should be.

He also suggests that setting the Pin-priority to 101 for Package: *
with Pin: release a=unstable is a bad idea if you want to keep a
testing/stable system. Putting the exact package name instead of the
* would probably be what you want.

Hi Gabe,

I'm afraid I don't remember a German Debian devleoper. But I do know that trying to install <package>=<version> won't do any good if apt doesn't know where to find that version of the package. Therefor, you must add an archive to your sources.list that contains that version of the package (usually unstable).

However, if you do this without pinning everything from unstable to a low priority, apt will want to upgrade every package on your system to the version in unstable (without a pin, it always goes for the highest version number).

I think that just pinning one package isn't going to be enough, as it would then want to upgrade every package but that one. If this isn't the case, I'd like to know why.

However, it would probably be best for Jeff not to bother with any of this, but just to grab the vorbis-tools 1.0 package via ftp and install it on the command line. No other packages should have to be upgraded to accomodate this.

> I wouldn't know, as I don't use Debian (or Linux, when I can avoid
> it). I use NetBSD, where we take reasonable care to be sure that
> pkgsrc is broken neither in the standard release (equivalent to
> Debian's stable) nor in the current code base (CVS's HEAD, what I
> take to be the equivalent of Debian's unstable).

Occasional breakage is the price we pay for a large, decentralized system. Sometimes package maintainers screw up...

However, the package in question here isn't broken in either Stable or Unstable. Only in Testing. Things like this happen because the scripts that decide when a package is moved from unstable to testing aren't perfect. They try their best to track dependancies and only move a package to testing when this won't cause a problem... For some reason, it looks like the various 1.0 vorbis libs got moved into testing, but vorbis-tools itself did not (still at 1.0rc3).

See Jeff's bug report, and the maintainer's response:
http://bugs.debian.org/156932

Btw, Gabe, what cd-ripper/encoder are you using? I've looked at Jack and abcde...

--
Will Dyson
"Back off man, I'm a scientist!" -Dr. Peter Venkman