Mike Leone on Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:16:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Reading Outlook attachments?

* John Lavin (jlavin@ccil.org) wrote this on 09 18, 02 at 21:56:
> I got a guy that run XP Pro, Outlook sending me mail that's only some
> attachment named: smime.p7m  sometimes I can pipe it to vi and read the
> text it between whatever garbage's put in there.  Other times its
> unreadable.
>
> Anyone seen this before?  If its unreadable with a editor, are you SOL
> if you don't have MS?

S/MIME is secure MIME. What you're seeing is a S/MIME encrypted email.

"What are attachments called smime.p7m and smime.p7s?

Email is secured by using a combination of two functions : signing and/or
encrypting the original mail. Each is represented at the recipient in the
form of attachments.
 A signed mail has an attachment called smime.p7s (containing the sender's
signature).
 An encrypted mail has an attachment called smime.p7m (containing the
encrypted message).

 Therefore, to verify a signed and/or read an encrypted message, you need a
mail reader compatible with S/MIME which will interpret the attachments,
otherwise you will see the message with all these attachments described
above."

http://support.globalsign.net/en/personalsign/personalsignFAQ_body.htm