Sean Finney on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 01:48:27 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Perl question

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 11:44:22AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> As line 22 has nothing unusual in it, I am wondering whether Perl skips
> comments at the begining of a script in calculating the line number?
> Any ideas what character \xA0 might be?

for characters <= 0x7F (decimal 127--7 bits), you can find out what
they are in man ascii(7) on most linux and unix boxes.  additionally,
on my linux box at least, there's a man iso_8859-1(7) (and others), that
have additional characters defined.  from this:

       240   160   A0           NO-BREAK SPACE

why your program is complaining.. i couldn't help much.  the only idea
that i'd have is that the script writer for some reason expected your
locale to interpret those characters as normal space characters.  have
you tried running this in a locale like en_US?

--sean