gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 20 Sep 2002 20:01:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] PC Camera

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 04:45:22PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Very nice.  I see you working?

Yep. I haven't made NetBSD talk to serial (read, Mac OS) Connectix
(remember them? Yeah, they don't exist any more...) QuickCams yet,
so you don't get to see my home office (yet).

(Yeah, sure, so I could just buy another parallel cam, but where's
the fun when I've already got the serial one?)

> How do you get the browser to refresh the page automatically?

Meta-refresh tag. Check the HTML on that page (or on
http://webcam.eclipsed.net/, which is hosted in the same place--
Apache named virtual hosts--but includes three other cameras, one of
which is the SCCS). It's in the <head> section.

> What is the model of the camera you're using?

Ancient Connectix Parallel Color QuickCam.

> For my experiments I'm bidding on an old "Connectix Color Parallel
> Quickcam".
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2054688904&ssPageName=ADME:B:BN:US:1

Perfect. Exactly what I've got (and I know that without even looking
at the eBay page). Though they were never very well-documented,
they've been around for ages and the code that supports them is
quite robust. (The cqcam program I call in my script. It's
definitely packaged for your distro, no matter what that may be.)

For extra points, remove the light filter and you've got a low-light
(even picks up infrared if you tune the software just so) camera.
Don't expose the CCD to bright light (which qualifies as daytime or
any real light bulb), though, or it'll burn out.

> The ultimate goal is to take periodic shots of the waterfront of a
> sailing club.  The PC will need to dial out on it's own, which leads me
> to another question.  Are there any free ISPs out there that would work
> with Linux?  I would think that total connect time per month would be
> pretty low.

Don't have a good answer for that question, since I've been in the
broadband world since I left my folks' house in St. Louis.

Waterfront sounds like a cool use (you know about the various
networks of surf cams, right?). Let me know if you want a slot on
webcam.eclipsed.net when you get it up.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net