Arthur S. Alexion on Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:16:31 -0400

Re: tangent warning. was: Re: [PLUG] .directory files

On Friday 27 September 2002 12:22 am, Ian Reinhart Geiser wrote:
> I have found the GUI is faster for me than a CLI, thats just me...
> funny that i grew up with a Mac and work on KDE :)
>
> i will always be faster moving arround the KDE editor Kate than with
> Vi, only because i cannot remember 1000+ esoteric key commands just
> to copy text and then replace instances of it in my current file and
> header file with some other text.  I mean i might be able to write it
> down and maby after 10 years remember it, but hey, in Kate its
> roughly 3 mouse clicks... difference being, i dont have to blow my
> afternoon figureing out docs...  its there.
>
> im not a sysadmin sshing into a box across the county, and im not in
> single user mode trying to recover a bootsector... im just this guy
> who needs to use his computer.

One (hopoefully) final comment.  As a new Linux user, who probably
spent more time on the DOS prompt than most windows users, I find the
greatest thing about the Linux GUI is that you can run a terminal in it
that interacts with the gui.  You not have to pick whether or not you
want to work on gui or the shell, for the session.  You can switch back
and forth doing shell-convenient tasks there while doing gui-convenient
tasks there.  It's great.  You can't _really_ interact with windows
from a DOS prompt window, and (pre-OSX) I've never heard mention of the
"Mac prompt".