Adam Turoff on Sat, 28 Sep 2002 15:19:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] monitor flickering

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 02:01:00PM -0400, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 12:42:21PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:
> > UPenn, Eniac, a moth had caused a short.  Can't remember the name of the
> > woman who diagnosed the problem and removed the moth from the circuit --
> > the first debugger.
>
> You're probably thinking of Admiral Grace Hopper, who didn't actually
> remove the moth from the relay, though it was one of her favorite
> stories to tell.  The log entry in question (complete with moth taped to
> it) is now in the Smithsonian.

And the moth in question was actually logged at Harvard, on the
Harvard Mark I, not the ENIAC at U of P.

Admiral Hopper came to Philly after the War to work on the UNIVAC.
I don't believe she actually worked with ENIAC, although she did work
with Eckert and Maunchly after they left U of P to build the UNIVAC.

Z.