Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:16:08 -0400

Re: [PLUG] spoofing

On Monday 30 September 2002 12:05 am, Bradley Molnar wrote:
> it might be a case of the klez virus -- someone, who may know someone
> who knows you, has this virus, and the klez sent a fake e-mail to
> someone who knows someone who knows this guy and happens to be in
> russia (or at least uses a russian server).
>
> wow, that makes almost no sence at all, but, I think the idea is
> there. Someone has an outdated entry in a contact list most likely.

I got another bounce from a server in the Ukraine.  This one had a list
of bad addresses, alphabetically similar usernames, on Russian domains.
 My MUA doesn't display the Cyrillic fonts (although it will display
Greek and Asian occasionally), but the bodies of the bounced emails
look the same.

This leads me to believe that this is not a klez virus thing, but
rather, a Russian spammer who is using my address.  I'm just concerned
about whether I should be concerned (if that makes sense).