Sean Finney on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:16:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] spoofing

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 08:11:16AM -0400, Arthur S. Alexion wrote:
> I got another bounce from a server in the Ukraine.  This one had a list
> of bad addresses, alphabetically similar usernames, on Russian domains.
>  My MUA doesn't display the Cyrillic fonts (although it will display
> Greek and Asian occasionally), but the bodies of the bounced emails
> look the same.
>
> This leads me to believe that this is not a klez virus thing, but
> rather, a Russian spammer who is using my address.  I'm just concerned
> about whether I should be concerned (if that makes sense).

i'm sure it's a spammer.  if sending us spam wasn't enough, now they're
forging the from addresses as well so the spam-ee's get mad at the
wrong people.  i've seen viruses do this as well, but in the past couple
weeks i've gotten two or three of these spam bounces to an old yahoo
address of mine.  of course if someone knows how to speak russian,
we might be able to tell for sure... :)

--sean