kaze on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:17:07 -0400

RE: [PLUG] spoofing

I get emails (spoofed) FROM ME a lot. Filtering them is kind of annoying as
I do actually send myself emails, for example from web based mail when I'm
at a job or whatever to myself at home. People have asked me about this as
they are worried that  others out on the 'net are getting the same spam as
they get themselves and it likes like it's from them - but I am pretty sure
everybody gets the same spam but uniquely addressed from themselves, so I
don't worry about it all. I base this assumption on a line of text at the
end of some of these spams which obnoxiously says something to the effect
that this has been done for my convenience so it won't get mistaken as spam
and filtered out...

...So they have coopted your identity, but only to present it back to you to
foil your filters. IMHO