Arthur S. Alexion on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 21:51:30 -0400

Re: [PLUG] spoofing

On Monday 30 September 2002 11:09 am, kaze wrote:
> I get emails (spoofed) FROM ME a lot.

> ...So they have coopted your identity, but only to present it back to
> you to foil your filters. IMHO

I've experienced what you describe.  It's done by using the spamware's
mail merge features.  So you get the spam coming from you, while I get
the same message coming from me.

That's not what is happening here, though.  My address was used for
many recipients, other recipients I have no connection with.  In fact,
I may have never known about it except that many of the "TO:" addresses
were bad, and the recipient server sent me, and not the real spammer,
the bounce notices.

(Which reminds me, as an additional response to Gabe's point that
without my digital signature, no one can prove that the spam was from
me.  Another concern that I have is getting on some server's spammer
domain lists, thereby blocking my legitimate domains.  A friend who did
not know that he had an open relay, recently had a hell of a time
getting AOL to stop blocking his mail.  Even after he fixed the relay.
That's the kind of stuff that concerns me.)