Michael F. Robbins on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 03:50:08 +0200

[PLUG] aquota.user file permissions

Trying to check my quota:

mike@hydrogen:~$ quota
quota: Can't open quotafile //aquota.user: Permission denied
Disk quotas for user mike (uid 1000): none
mike@hydrogen:~$ ls -l /aquota.user
-rw-------    1 root     root        15360 Sep 19 19:05 /aquota.user

Would it be safe to 'chmod o+r /aquota.user'?  I imagine it would allow
anyone to see anyone else's quota, but besides that I can't see any harm
in it.

I know that back when I used RedHat, I was able to check my quota with
the "quota" program, but I really don't remember how it all was set up.
And no, I am not the only one to use this system, so security is
somewhat important.

Michael F. Robbins
mike@gamerack.com