Adam Turoff on Mon, 30 Sep 2002 18:30:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] ENIAC

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 11:54:31AM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
> Grace Hopper. ... Actually, I don't recall off hand if it was she or
> Kay Mauchley.
>
> However, the story was part and parcel of Grace's presentations (along
> with her "nanosecond" piece of wire. It's documented in the various
> histories about ENIAC.
>
> But it IS where the term "debug" came from.

No, it is not.  It is a common and frequently repeated misconception though.

The idea of 'bugs' and 'debugging' existed in engineering and craft
disciplines decades and centuries before computers.  If you read
the (JPEG of the) actual log entry, you'll see the joke that in this
one particular case, the bug in the hardware was literally a bug.

Z.