christophe =?unknown-8bit?q?barb=E9?= on Thu, 3 Oct 2002 16:45:12 -0400

Re: [PLUG] KDE 3.0...is slow

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 12:53:15PM -0700, lists wrote:
> To all using KDE 3.0: Have you noticed that the speed of KDE 3.0 is
> significantly slower than 2.X?  Fixes? Thoughts?
>
> After installing SuSE Linux 8.0, which was flawless on some very new hardware,
> and realizing how slow KDE 3.0 seemed to be, I went ahead and installed the
> Ximian GNOME Desktop, which, in my opinion, is a very appealing and rich
> desktop environment.  I haven't used it long enough to run into any
> difficulties or deficiencies; however, Ximian Evolution seems to be a perfect
> replacement for MS Outlook.

AFAIK ximian desktop is still gnome1 based. So if I am right you should
try gnome2 to compare to kde3.
Ximain is doing a terrific job but until they switch to gnome2 they are
behind.
Gnome2 rules, it's a more coherent system with accesibility features.
Metacity is a window manager very light that only do it's job.

Unfortunately, evolution is still a gnome1 app.

Christophe

> Michael

A qui sait comprendre, peu de mots suffisent.
(Intelligenti pauca.)