Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 3 Oct 2002 23:41:15 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Am I Out of Luck

> I have a 5-year-old off-label computer that came with a Chromatic Mpact
> Media graphics card (it words with the DVD player in the computer). I
> once put Caldera linux on my computer in 2001 and I couldn't get it to
> work. The graphics came out all fuzzy. It moved real slowly.

This is not a bad thing in the linux world, but rather a great opportunity
to learn. Take advantage of it. :)

Upgrade XFree86 to your latest version. I don't know how to do so in
Caldera. I think that the latest version is 4.2x.

If you don't know how to do this, then perhaps another distro: redhat or
debian so others on this list can help. Or compile from source, not hard.
We can help you if you go this route.

Once you do so, you can configure x by doing:

X --configure

There will be an XFConfig-something file in your /root dir.

mv XFConfig-something /etc/XF86Config-4

I don't remember what the something in XFConfig-something is, but you'll
find it easily enough in /root.

Now you can startx and see what's up.

If this doesn't work, you can do

lspci

to find out what card it is and type the results into google and you will
probably see someone else in the same boat.

Fred Ollinger