Kevin Brosius on Fri, 4 Oct 2002 07:40:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Am I Out of Luck

Lawrence Goodman wrote:

> A newbie asks:
>
> I have a 5-year-old off-label computer that came with a Chromatic Mpact
> Media graphics card (it words with the DVD player in the computer). I
> once put Caldera linux on my computer in 2001 and I couldn't get it to
> work. The graphics came out all fuzzy. It moved real slowly.
>
> Am I just out of luck and no version of Linux will work with this video
> card. The manufacturer is out of business so I can't ask them.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!

It depends on what you want to do...

I'm going to assume you want to run X Windows.  I don't see that
particular name on the list at:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status.html

But that doesn't mean anything, as you may have a supported chipset but
under some unknown generic name.

The other email suggestion to run 'lspci' is a good one.  We'll need to
find out what the video chipset is to determine if it has support. If
you can't run lspci, but you do have Windows installed, then you may be
able to get additional info from the system panel in windows.  If that
doesn't help, you can always open the computer and look at the large
chip on the video board.  Write down all the info and post that.

--
Kevin Brosius